My Chapter (East Valley Authors) is having our 2nd query contest, so if you've got an extra $5 and a polished query letter, give it a shot.
2nd Annual EVA Query Contest
Romance Writers of America - East Valley Authors
1. Contest is limited to the first 100 entries.
2. Contest deadline is September 1, 2008.
3. Entry fees ($5) and submissions received with postal datestamp after September 1, 2008 will not be accepted. Fees ($5) will be accepted at the EVA website through PayPal or send check, entry form and submission to:
East Valley Authors
West Covina, CA 91793-9000
4. Contest is open to any writer.
5. All genres of fiction are welcome.
6. Entries shall consist of:
A one to two-page query letter.
Standard business letter format -- see below
Kevan Anne Lyon and Jill Marsal
Sandra Dijkstra Agency
7. If submitting as a hard copy:
THREE copies of your query letter
A standard self-addressed stamped envelope with sufficient postage for return of submissions and scores
8. If submitting an electronic copy:
Please provide a valid email address
Send entry as an attachment
Email entry to: Contest Coordinator
9. Entries must be formatted as follows:
MINIMUM 1-inch margins, readable font of 12 pt, Time New Roman, Courier, or Arial preferred.
Justiy left but do NOT justify right margins
It is a business letter to be addressed to the above agency with the salutation to the agents even though the query letters will be pre-read by EVA, the final judges will be the agents.
10. Multiple entries will be considered but a separate entry fee must be paid for each.
11. Each separate entry must be accompanied by an official entry form, a signed release, and an entry fee.
12. Preliminary judging will be done on a point basis, with all manuscripts judged by two trained judges, highest score will be used. In the case where a submission receives larger than a 10=point spread, a third judge will be used and that final score taken.
13. Finalists are chosen by their overall score and must be among the top five.
14. Finalists will be judged by Kevan Anne Lyon and Jill Marsal of the Sandra Dijkstra Agency.
15. Finalist will be announced at the October 2008 EVA monthly meeting. Winner announcements will be made to the RWA. All finalists and the winner will be notified by phone or email.
16. The winner will receive a gift certificate worth $50.00.
17. Failure to comply with any of the above rules will result in disqualificaiton. The EVA Board of Directors will resolve any disputes that may arise. Their decision will be final.
18. The contest cannot be held liable for any failure of the delivery of entries due to the USPS, or your chosen method of delivery.
19. Contact Contest Coordinator with any questions.
DISCLAIMER: Winning the contest does not guarantee a request for your manuscript from the Sandra Dijkstra Agency.
Click Score Sheet to see our scoring.
Click Online Form for contest.
FEE per entry: $5