Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Hot Stuff

Actually, the title of this blog has nothing to do with the post, it just happens to be the tune I'm listening to on my iPod. Yes, the Donna Summer "Hot Stuff." I'm into Donna right now. It gets ugly when Donna and Barbara are belting out "Enough is Enough" and I alternate singing their parts. *shudder*

Anyway, I'm dreaming of September already. Now I remember why I didn't take the kids anywhere last summer: they didn't deserve it. From the moment they open their eyes until they collapse in bed at night, they fight. I'm an only child so sibling spats are foreign to me. Cripes! How can these kids find so much to fight about? And they are always bored. For crying tears, they have enough toys to fill a Toys r Us, and yet they don't have anything to do. And of course when they complain to me that they are bored, I tell them what my mother told me: go clean your room. They usually stalk off in a sulk and I get about 20 minutes of peace, but it never lasts. The last couple of days have been really rough. The Thing was sick with some weird fever. Last night I was ready to take her to the emergency room. I gave her some motrin and a half hour later she was dancing the watusi. I spent a lovely night on the couch with her while she kept waking up. I gave her more motrin at 1:30 a.m. hoping she would get more sleep. At 3:00 she woke up and wanted to watch Disney Channel. Since we get both the east and west coast feeds, I was able to watch The Wiggles while it was still dark. She seems fine this morning. Which is good news for The Diva since she couldn't be the absolute center of attention for two days. But all bets are off and she is exerting her presence with authority.

Oddly enough, times like this can often produce some of my best writing. Maybe it is the tension needing an outlet but I cranked out seven pages yesterday. Today hasn't been as productive, but watching the Wiggles in the middle of the night can sap the creativity from a gal.