Friday, May 15, 2009

Summertime and the Writing is Easy....

...or not.

My kids have seventeen actual days of school left. In a month they will be at home, constantly unless I put them into activities. Not sure about that yet, I don't really want to spend the money. Camps, classes, programs all cost money and they seem to get more expensive every year. Multiply by three and you can see the dilemna. But if I want to get any writing done, I need the precious angels occupied. I could construct a square ring in the spare bedroom and let them fight it out all summer. They seemed to enjoy doing that last year. Those kids would fight over the color of the sky if it meant an opportunity to scream at the top of their lungs.

But I have writing plans this summer. I'm over 40% through my current WIP and I want it done before the end of summer. Plans and strategies have to be made. My biggest problem is my lack of organization. I seem to melt when the final school bell rings. Part of my brain wants to shut off during the three months off. My kids also seem to forget they are human and revert to being rabid badgers.

The kids are older this year so I hope that accounts for something. I'm hoping they are more open to bribery this summer. I don't like to punish them, but I do find myself taking things away and denying them rewards. Trying to stay on top of everything is tough when my ultra-busy schedule dwindles to nothing. Its too eays to fall into slug habits. And as they say idle hands are the devil's playground. Goes for me too.

Will having your kids home require you to find new writing strategies? Are you going to do something with your kids this summer?

No comments: