Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Number Crunch

When I was in high school and was given an essay assignment, I remember cringing when there was a word count. Five hundred words might as well have been five thousand. I had the hardest time making those limits. I still do...in the opposite direction.

I'm trying to write a short story that is 700 words. Whew! My first draft was 926 words. Now I'm at 817. Doesn't seem like it should be hard to pare down, but wow, it is tough. But I'll get there.

I never liked math, but I’m very number-oriented when I write. When I write in Courier, my chapters are 20 pages long and I write 20 chapters. In TNR, my chapters are 16 pages long, 20 chapters. I don't edit to meet those limits, its how I write.

Do numbers pressure you or do you worry about it when you finish and start editing? Do you keep in mind while your writing how many words you need to shoot for?

Other Stuff...

Wanted to say "Hi" to Tanya and Laura. Thanks for stopping by. Also, there are a couple of new posts on Search for the Good Life about shopping lists and stocking the pantry.