Sunday, January 08, 2006

The Thing in my House

I’ve been really good about blogging on writing and reading topics.  Noticed there haven’t been any rants about my family?

Sorry, that period is over.

My three year old, now called “Thing” has turned into a demon from hell.  First, Thing refuses to use the potty at home.  But go out in public and she insists on using the bathroom.  The dirtier and more disgusting the toilet, the better.  And she touches everything.  Still refuses to use it at home.

Say no to her and she bawls, say yes to her and she bawls, put the wrong clothes on her and she bawls, look at her funny and she bawls.  This kid could dehydrate with the amount of bawling she is doing.  And she has a shrill, loud voice that makes ear drums bleed.

She gets into stuff constantly.  I have to be on my toes at all times to make sure she is not destroying something.  The worst situation, however, is her sleeping.  This is a phase I have gone through with my other kids as well.  My son was the worst.  He still doesn’t sleep well but he stays in bed and reads now.  Thing seems to be following in her brother’s footsteps.  It’s bad enough she won’t go to bed, but she insists on being loud and talking the whole time so we can’t watch TV.  The night before last I put her in her bed and stayed with her until she fell asleep.  Five minutes after I went back to my own bed, she came into my bed.  This wouldn’t be so annoying if she would just sleep.  But she tosses and turns, kicking us and making sleep impossible.  Last night she wouldn’t go to sleep so I ended up on the couch with her.  She watched cartoons while I dozed.  

I guess I should end those six hour naps.  Oh wait, she doesn’t take any of those.  It is rare that she takes naps.  Yesterday she slept for about an hour.  The kid averages about 7 hours of sleep a day.  How can she do this?  Her father is the same way.  My son, husband and Thing are bad sleepers, always have been.  My other daughter and I could sleep through an earthquake (and have done so).  We’ll get through this phase, I know, but boy is it ever difficult.  

Other posts…

I update Villa in Tuscany and Age of Enlightenment today.