Monday, March 20, 2006

Bad, Bad Girl

That's what my friend Melissa called me. Why? Because she asked me how I was doing on my writing goals and if I had been writing them down in my calendar as I said I would at the beginning of the year. And I had to tell her no.

Ughh....my goal setting has fallen by the wayside. If it weren't for BIAW's I'd have no goals. Why do I let my goals go? I don't think it is anything deep-seated, just scattered and I haven't pressed myself to do anything about it. I have the tools, I have the know-how, just not the motivation.

Today would be a good day to write. My kids are at school and my folks just picked up my little one for a shopping trip. But I can feel my attention slide. Some of it comes from the fact that I'm tired. Not that I haven't been getting any sleep, but the exhaustion that comes from too many days of the same routine, too many days trapped in a house with a bunch of kids, too many days of putting my writing on hold while I do something else.

I surrender, I need to schedule my writing like I do my housecleaning. Is there a Flylady for writing? A mentor could send out a gazillion emails reminding a writer what they need to be doing. "Did you do your morning routine?" "Did you shine your last chapter?" "Five minute POV check."

The same could be said for working out. I haven't been doing that either and I wonder why I'm not losing weight. I fully believe exercise is beneficial for the mind and soul as well as the body. And it isn't the actually the workout that bothers me. It's the prep and the time it takes out of my day. It really isn't that bad, but I've made such a mental block of it, I tend to give up.

So what's the answer? Perhaps I should sit down every morning with my first cup of coffee and decide what I want to accomplish for the day. I should write it down in my pretty, pastel date book and follow it. Maybe I should by a pack of gold star stickers and stick them on my forehead when I've complete a goal. Well, maybe not because then I would look like a big doofus. But perhaps some small reward: 10 mins. of game time on the Gamecube or something like that.

Do you live by a schedule? Do you write it down? Does it help?