Friday, March 17, 2006

Vacation, All I Ever Wanted....

We've decided to go on a family vacation this summer. We are thinking Hawaii but dh is drawn to the idea of Bermuda. I've been to Bermuda and can't imagine spending a week there, but it is an option. I'm also looking at some of the all-inclusives down in the Caribbean.

I have learned a few things.

We really shouldn't have had that third kid.

Most vacation packages for families are designed for 2 parents and 2 kids. You pay for that fifth wheel, let me tell you.

Going in the summertime is really, really expensive. When the kids were younger, dh and I would go on vacations by ourselves. We would go in September to Hawaii and get the benefit of Fall prices. I'm thinking of maybe jerking the kids out of school for a week. I don't think they would suffer much but dh is pretty old fashioned on such ideas. He might not go for it.

I would like to stay someplace that has planned activities for the kids. All dh wants to do is lay on the beach. I said that was fine, but one of us was going to have to watch the kids at all times. While I will be happy to take my turn, he is going to have to share the burden. He did suggest we leave the youngest behind. I didn't think that was fair. We took her sister to Hawaii when she was younger, so I don't think it would be right not to take her. We've also thought about bringing a relative to help chase the kids. An added expense but probably not too much.

If anyone has any great ideas, please post them. I'm a sponge at this point.