Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Read In

When my son was in 1st-2nd-3rd grade (he was in the same class for 3 years) their teacher would reward them for good behavior with a read in. On that day, they could dress in their pajamas, bring sleeping bags and blankets, they have special snacks and they spent the bulk of the school day reading. Doesn't that sound delightful? I remember my son loving those days, bringing one of his books and packing up his sleeping bag to spend the day lounging around and reading.

I want a read in day.

Wouldn't it be great to camp out in the middle of the room with a blanket and your favorite drink, being told that all you have to do is sit and read.

Reading has always been a joy for me, but over the years I haven't been able to read as much or as often as I would like. Mostly I don't have the time in between taking care of my kids and writing. But also, I find my attention is too easily distracted or I'm too lazy. Sometimes it is easier to sit down and watch t.v. than pick up a book. I have friends that will sit down with a book and let the world go by, not worrying about a thing, but I can't do that. As much as I like to immerse myself, I'm too aware of what has to be done to surrender to a good book. Vacation is when I do most of my reading. Dh and I pack a suitcase full of books, find a beach and start reading.

Do you find you read more or less these days? Are you able to block out the world when you have a good book? What are some of your strategies to getting more reading done?

BTW, sorry, yesterday's post was a mess of typos. I hate that. I was suffering from a severe lack of Diet Coke when I typed it. Hopefully I did better this time around.