Saturday, November 05, 2005

RWA Membership

I let my RWA membership lapse again.  Despite the notices, I totally forgot to renew.  They don’t seem to have a grace period or anything so I have to pretty much re-do the form etc.

Last night I got an email saying I’d been unsubscribed from the RWA email lists.  And this is a bad thing?  I’ve gone either no mail or digest on all of them.  For the most part the posts are pretty much drivel.  I used to justify my membership because of the RWR, but I’ve noticed the last few months I just kind of skim it and throw it away.  Conference?  If I’m honest with myself, I have to admit my chances of going to conference over the next few years are pretty slim.  With three kids, its tough to get away and also, our vacations are few and far between these days.  I’m more apt to go away with the family than go to conference.

The downside is the chapters.  I belong to two chapters.  I really enjoy both.  But, my opportunities to go to my meetings for the one are rare.  My kids are in sports and the meetings are on Saturday.  They are about 30 minutes away, which is no big deal, but it takes planning on my part.  I like their newsletters as well.  

I haven’t decided what I’m going to do.  The series of fiascos the last year did leave me a little disenchanted with the organization.  However I really didn’t question whether I would renew or not.  What does everyone else think?  How high do you value your membership?