Sunday, July 17, 2005

A Blessing and a Curse

When I start writing something that clicks with me, I go into a groove. It consumes me, fills my thoughts, dominates my life. I'm going through it right now. The historical I'm working on is flowing with incredible ease. So I should just ride the wave, right?

Problem is I've got this whole "family" thing going. I have a house and 3 kids requiring my attention. The ms on my screen calls to me constantly and I find myself thinking about it all the time. I'm paying for it this morning as I run into messes the kids made while I wasn't paying attention. Also, my back is in agony from sitting in a chair for so long.

The beauty of my "groove" is the value of the writing. I find the quality is far superior to a book I've "scheduled" myself to write. I can see the difference in the flow and its obvious it is a book from my heart.

So, the family will be neglected somewhat for the next couple of months while I work on this book. Hopefully they won't burn the house down.

And, taking a ride on my roller coaster writing career....

I got a request for a full Friday night. I need to steal a ream of paper from dh's office tomorrow and print it out.

13 comments:

Melissa Amateis said...

That is so great that you're in the writing groove right now. And as I've read the first few pages of this one, I have to agree - it is VERY good. Keep at it!
CONGRATS on the request from the agent! Woo hoo!!!!!

Jillian Beane said...

Congrats on your request! Good Luck to you. I'm sure it will lead to big things.

And keep up the writing groove... sometimes they can come so few and far between.

Crystal* said...

*doing the happy request dance*

I understand completely about the groove. I waver between guilt and exhiliration. No wonder we authors are dotty.
Grins*

Anonymous said...

Cowabunga, dude! *g*

Congrats on the request!!!

Tess said...

Yay Rene - that's so cool!!! Send that baby out and sell :-)

PS - Love the variety of backgrounds you've been using lately. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

I love it when I'm in the flow on writing! Of course, everything falls down around me and eventually has to be dealt with. But, man, while you're in it, it is SO COOL.

And congrats on the request!

Anonymous said...

Yay, Rene!!!!!! Congratulations!

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I know the feeling when the book is calling to you, but the family is yelling for attention too.

Woo-hoo on the request, Rene! How great! Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS! on the request!!!!! Woo hoo, very exciting!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the full request!!!

And I'm sure the family will do okay for a while. Not good, not like they'd do if you were fully cognizant of what they're doing, but they'll make it. But if you smell smoke, run like hell. ;)

~~Olivia said...

Oh yes, the groove! Run with it. Don't let your fingers stop!

Stephanie Tyler said...

eh - don't worry about the house...stay in the groove for as long as you can. It's an awesome feeling, isn't it?

And congrats on the full request!! Fingers crossed and lots of good karma coming your way *g*

Anonymous said...

Hooray on the request, and let the house go for a bit. Writing is more important!

(Says Michelle, of the horribly dirty house)