Monday, January 12, 2009

Priorities

Some priorities are easy to see and understand. Your family is always top priority, even if you don't actually feel that way all the time, you can believe it. While it isn't always easy to give your top priority its due, we still have no problem making ourselves sacrifice as much as we can to make our families happy and safe. I hate doing laundry, but I can make myself do it with little convincing because it has to be done and heaven forbid my children wear dirty clothes to school.

But what about those other priorities? I came to the realization this weekend that it is easier for me to write a novel than lose weight. Doesn't that seem wrong? Crafting a lengthy piece of fiction should be tougher than dropping 10 lbs. And yet I've achieved a lot more of my writing goals than I have my weightloss ones.

Why is it easier for me to create another world populated by complicated beings than to watch what I'm eating? Why can I carve out an hour of my day to write but not a measly 30 minutes to exercise? In the long run, I will see satisfaction in losing weight long before I would in writing. Even if I sold a book today, I'd have more than a year before I actually saw it on the shelves. If I started focusing on weightloss I'd see a difference in a month. It doesn't make sense.

I don't really have any answers. I just thought it was curious.

What about you? Anything skewed for you?

No comments: