Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Oh Dear!

I'm a mess. I'm wearing grungy sweats because I haven't done laundry all week. The sinks are full of dishes. There are enough crumbs on the kitchen counters to make a meal for five. My blogging has been woeful in frequency and content. Nothing is getting done...except for one thing.

I'm on the last 10K words of my WIP. My mind is consumed with it during the day. I am so distracted, I will start a task and not finish it because my mind is on my book. The only thing I do stick to is lunch. I generally stop at noon and eat lunch while watching t.v. This is my time to relax and watch the horrible shows my family won't watch.

Some people feel that fervor for the entire time they write. Not me. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about anything. There are some books which evoke that feeling in me. Sometimes a movie or t.v. show, but those are brief amounts of time. I don't have the energy to feel that way for an entire book. But once I hit those last three chapters, I am burned. I can feel it so close, can feel the satisfaction of tying up the lose ends and putting my characters through that last black moment before every one rides off into the sunset.

How consuming is writing for you? Do you hit a point where it becomes priority or is it a priority for you the whole time you are writing?

No comments: