Sunday, August 27, 2006

May The Force Be With You


First, I want to wish a happy birthday to Nienke. Stop by and give her your felicitations. Also, I have a book review up at Age of Enlightenment. So if you are fascinated by 18th century cooking (and you know you are) check it out.

My home has been overrun by Star Wars. My son has been playing to Star Wars video games non-stop this summer. We have watched all the movies (except for the last one) this summer. This includes the Clone Wars cartoons created for Cartoon Network. This obsession is shared mostly between my son and his dad, but the girls are not immune. What is it about “Star Wars” which makes it a cultural phenomenon? I doubt there is a place on earth which has never heard of it.

Is it the elemental battle between good and evil? Is it the adventure? Is it the cool gadgets? If you look at the series, there are plot holes big enough to drive a truck through. Yoda is annoying. I have never been able to get over the fact he sounds like Fozzie Bear. But whatever I have against it, I have to admire its universal appeal. Still, I have to say, after thirty years of Star Wars, I’m pretty sick of it. That all of this could come from one movie is stupefying

The saga isn’t particularly unique with regards to plotline. The same story and characters could be placed in a medieval setting or the old west and still play the same. But George Lucas really hit on combo which feeds the fantasies of the masses. It is rather innocent in its themes. There is a good side and a bad side. You have to choose which to follow. The concept of balance is big and the value of friendship and family are heavy themes. All in all, not a bad learning experience. My kids could be into something far worse.

.