Tuesday, August 29, 2006

One Week

First, pardon my mess. I changed my blog around and for some reason Blogger isn't saving my changes. I'm hoping the defect will cure itself. At this point, however, it isn't but at least you get a good idea what it will look like. BTW, this is what the background should look like:

This is the Week of Regret. Sounds like a religious holiday. This is the week where I look back with disappointment at what I didn't accomplish this summer with the kids. We didn't do many of the activities I had planned or gone to the places I wanted to take them. I'm not exactly sure why. I think it boils down to the fact they really didn't have any interest in doing these things.

Being a mom, I'm overly concerned with my kids development. My greatest fear is that my kids will grow up to be serial killers or, heaven forbid, Paris Hilton. And of course I would blame myself because I didn't take them to enough art museums or did enough arts and crafts projects with them. In my head, I know macrame isn't the path to maturity and whether they've seen enough Monets is going to make them better adults. But being a mom isn't a particularly rational state of mind. We live with guilt like it is our favorite pair of sweatpants. It is comforting in its way and we cling to it, no matter how torn up and useless it is.

I'm looking forward to next week. So are my kids. They love school. Now the Playstation will be mine!!! Yes, I still have one at home, but she isn't as tough as she once was.

One week, I can make it. Barely.

No comments: