Saturday, April 15, 2006

Telephone

I hate the telephone. Oh man, do I hate the telephone. I hate answering it, I hate talking on it. I hate looking for it when I've put it down. I don't like my cell phone. Half the time I have no idea where it is.

Except for those teen years, I've never really enjoyed talking on the phone. Pre-Internet days, it was about the only way to communicate. Now, with email, I'm much more likely to visit via email or MS Messenger.

I'm not quite sure why I have this intolerance. Perhaps it developed when I worked outside of the home and I spent so much time on the phone. But I haven't worked for 4 1/2 years and in that time, I've grown even more disenchanted with the phone.

I think it relates to the fact I'm a much better communicator with written words. Or maybe it is because email and Messenger is on my terms and not breaking into my important activities like bloghopping. Okay, so I could bloghop and talk on the phone at the same time, but people can always tell.

What about you? How are you with telephones? Is there another modern convenience you could not only live without but cheerfully chuck through a plate glass window?