Saturday, April 16, 2005

Putting My House In Order

Sigh...Whenever I go into deep-writing mode, I neglect everything else. So I woke up this morning determined to get some housecleaning done. I've also noticed I'm putting on weight, so I'm getting the Cooking Light magazines out and preparing a menu for next week. Vons is offering free delivery on their groceries, so I'm hoping to get my list ready and order it online.

Deep-writing mode is great, but if you have responsibilities outside of writing, it becomes vital to balance. It isn't easy to do. Sometimes writing has to take a backseat. I have found the writers who say that writing must take center stage don't have kids. Or their kids are grown.

But my take on the situation is this: I don't care how many times I hit the bestseller list, thirty years after my death no one will remember my name. My children will. My children's children will. That is the true legacy.

No comments: