Monday, April 16, 2007

Chapter Two

It finally happened, I ran out of excuses for not writing and sat down and did it. Then is an immeasurable sense of relief when I complete the first chapter although I don't feel the commitment until the third. However, it has been such a long time since I got to chapter two, I've been patting myself on the back. I'm very happy with my writing on this project, I'm comfortable with first person POV and I'm able to challenge myself more.

I think most if not all writers harbor a fear that one day the well is going to dry up and they won't be able to write again. Its usually unfounded, but it swirls around our mind like a malignant fog, creating artificial barriers which lead us astray. I've been doing this long enough to recognize it for the falsity it is. I've had long writing droughts before, longer than this one, but it doesn't matter. It delivers a sucker punch all the same.

There isn't some magic incantation I muttered to get myself back on track. No magical being materialized to bless me with renewed creativity. It was more keeping my butt in the chair and supergluing my fingers to the keyboard. And turning off the Internet. Mentally, I bitched about how rough is was going until I found myself immersed in my story. Next thing I know, I'm at chapter two and I'm still going strong.

One thing I have discovered about myself is that I'm given to daydreams about my novel. But these are just phantoms until I actually do the writing. I can dream up plots and characters until the moon sets, but it only counts when I start writing. Very rarely do those daydreams actually make it to the page. But they do keep me interested. They help me flesh out my characters so that when I do write, I'm more in tune and can figure out how my characters are going to operate with the situations given.

So I'm back to writing. And, sigh, I'm now running out of excuses not to go to the gym. So I guess I'll be doing that too.

Other Stuff...

I have long given up on my kids riding bikes. My son cannot do it. He has a mental block about balance. I have explained to him if he wants to ride a Segway (yes, some kids want a motorcycle, he wants a Segway) he's going to have to learn to balance on two wheels. Diva wasn't much better, but yesterday she grabbed a bike and taught herself how to ride. Now I can't get her of the bike. Its her brother's old bike so we are going to buy her a new one.

Supernerd had his own triumph last week. My folks took the kids to Universal Studios last week. They took the commuter rail then switched to the metroline to get to the park. On the way home, a woman got onto the metro holding a baby. Since it was afterwork, there were no seats available. My son, without prompting, got up and gave her his seat. I think his grandma got misty eyed. He didn't think anything of it. At age 11, I didn't think this level of consideration existed without pressure from parent.

One more thing....

I found this on Amazon. How I found it, I don't know, but it is a crack up. Read the customers' reviews. Too funny.

No comments: