Monday, April 23, 2007

Old Dog, New Tricks

I don't have many vices but I'm loaded with bad habits. Or rather, I lack good habits.

As the pace of my life picks up, the easier it is for things to get away from me. If I feel overwhelmed (which is easy due to my own brain chemistry) I feel desperate. I cease to view reality in its true perspective. My ongoing battle is my house. I cannot seem to keep it under control. Considering I don't enjoy cleaning house, I feel double the despair. But I'm trying to change that. Instead of seeing the house as one huge unconquerable mountain, I'm trying to change my thought process and break it down into more manageable mole hills. Part of that is creating good habits.

My first one is to straighten the kitchen in the morning after breakfast and lunches are made. It takes me an additional 10 minutes to do, but if I let it sit until dinner time, then it has grown into a half hour task.

My second it to act rather than procrastinate. Not on the big things. The little things. There is a pile of stuff I need to take to my husband's office. It has been sitting here growing for almost a year. I go to my husband's office at least three times a week but I have managed to forget this junk everyday. So as soon as I finish this post, I'm going to go put it in the car. Same goes for putting things away. I've been working at making my laundry room a laundry room rather than a black hole of chaos. Instead of just dropping off my various cleaning products, I'm putting them away. Wow, I have a counter to fold laundry.

Third habit I'm working on is sweeping my kitchen floor every night. I really hate this one, but I realized it only takes me about 4 or 5 minutes. But this small chore saves me a ton later in the week when it is time to mop.

Oh yeah, and I'm trying to go back to making weekly menus. I got a new cookbook, Everyday Food: Great Food Fast (Vintage), and I've been using it to death. I find having a menu lessens my stress plus helps me cut my time at the grocery store.

What about you? Any good habits you are trying to develop?

No comments: