Saturday, March 25, 2006

Talent without Passion

Chrys* talks about reading something you really enjoy and wanting to try it yourself with miserable results. I couldn't write chick lit if it would save my life. I do enjoy reading it from time to time, but I can't emulate it.

But what about the opposite? Can you write something you don't feel passionately about? I love historical romance and I love writing it. But paranormal comes easier for me. I have a knack as it were. I started a contemporary paranormal and I'm having no problems writing it. It's like auto-pilot for me. I like paranormal romance, I enjoy reading it. But it doesn't hold the same place in my heart as historical does.

How often have you heard the advice you must write what you love? But do you? Has anyone else had this experience? Does our passion and heart get in the way sometimes when we are writing?

And the same goes for other things. I bake a mean lemon meringue pie...so I've been told. I can't stand lemon meringue pie so I have to rely on the opinions of others. I hate eggs over easy but I am almost flawless at cooking them. Same goes for canning. DH loves my pickles and jalapenos. I would rather be stretched on a rack then try them.

Do you have talents or abilities which don't impress you much?