Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Rings of Saturn

The Rings of Saturn

My son got a telescope for Christmas. The other night, the sky was clear and the moon was full, a perfect time to use it. So we got it out and focused on the moon. Yes, it was spectacular and all of us were able to see it. We all saw the same details, appreciated the same moonscape features. My husband went on to focus on a star. He zoomed in on it and said there wasn't much to see, just a bright white dot. I looked in, focused it for my vision and saw the rings of Saturn. My husband and my son neither one could see it. I tried to explain what they were looking at, but still they couldn't see it. Our vision is too different.

I knew there was a lesson in there somewhere. As writers, we are trying so hard to present our view, we want our readers to be on the same wave length as us, to see the story we are trying to tell. I thought of this when I read a few posts regarding when a cp reads your chapters and sends it back with tons of correction and ideas. It is disappointing because we obviously failed in our quest to provide a vision of our story. But it is important to accept the fact our sight is different than others. You have a choice: try again to convey your story or accept the fact that no one is going to see what you see. That's okay. In the telescope I focused differently and found a blanket of stars invisible to the naked eye. My husband was able to see it and it was a vision we both enjoyed. I feel certain we will both see the rings of Saturn. Right now it is rising at 5 in the morning in our sky, so by the time we see it, the planet is not in a good spot for viewing. But for now, I will focus the telescope on objects we can both enjoy.