Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Apocalypse

The end of my world is nigh. It happens every year around this time, the ending of my peace and quiet for the next three months.

Yes, the school year is drawing to a close. I've spent the last few days curled in a fetal position, rocking back and forth, muttering incomprehensibly to myself.

I have no idea what this summer is going to bring. I'm sure it will include a lot of battles over video games, dirty rooms, the petty annoyances children seem to excel at. I've looked at the summer camps, but they are so expensive. Half the time my kids don't enjoy them and it is a battle to get them to go.

So I need to be more proactive. I'm going to try and have theme weeks where I work on something with the kids and include a field trip. Perhaps if they have something to look forward to, they will behave. We will probably do a lot of swimming at my folks house, so there is something else I can do.

Vacation plans are fizzling to zero. Hubby's summer at work has gone crazy plus the airline fares are so outrageous, it isn't something we can really afford. We could if we went in September, but hubby just got hit with a trial, so we can't go. That is the real problem with being self-employed. There is no one else to pick up the slack and no vacation pay.

What are your plans for the summer? Do you have a gameplan for the kids? Is this a season you dread or anticipate?