Friday, May 19, 2006

The Da Vinci Code- Because I Have To

Hubby is dying to see "The Da Vinci Code." He loved the book and is dragging me to the movies. Personally, I'm more of a "Poseidon" gal and I'm making my own plans (they are showing it on the local IMAX). Anyway, I tried reading the book and it didn't do much for me. It isn't the best written piece of fiction and the story line isn't one I find all that interesting. Hubby can't believe I'm not captivated.

So why do I bother? Because I hate going to a movie without reading the book first. It is my compulsion. I'm not one of those who generally slams a movie because it didn't follow the book. But I like to have the background. Sometimes its a great benefit and I read a good book I didn't think I'd like ("Silence of the Lambs") or sometimes the reading is pure torture and I just stick with the movie (the LOTR trilogy. Yeah, you Tolkeinites can start throwing the rotten cabbages, I'm ready).

I'm not sure why I am like this. How about you? Do you like to read the book before seeing the movie? Or do you purposely not read the book? Or do you wait and read the book after the movie?

BTW, "The Da Vinci Code" doesn't seem to be as bad this time around, maybe because my expectations are lower this time around. And least it isn't very long.